The United States of America recognized the independence of Moldova on December 25, 1991, and established diplomatic relations with the Republic of Moldova on February 28, 1992.
The Republic of Moldova opened its Embassy in Washington DC in December 1993, after the United States of America opened its Embassy in Chișinău in March 1992.
Since 1998, the Embassy is a contributing property to the Sheridan-Kalorama Historic District of Washington DC, being located at 2101 S Street, NW. Previously, it was located at 1511 K Street, NW.
Constructed in 1898, the Beaux-Arts building originally served as the private residence of James "Tama Jim" Wilson, the 4th U.S. Secretary of Agriculture (in office from March 5, 1897 to March 5, 1913). In addition to Wilson, notable owners of the building have included the Ottoman Empire (offices of the Turkish Legation), Persian Empire (offices of the Persian Legation during the Qajar dynasty), Assistant Secretary of the Treasury James H. Moyle, Director of the U.S. Reclamation Service Frederick Haynes Newell, economist Alfred E. Kahn, the Scientific Time Sharing Corporation (headquarters), Governor of the U.S. Postal Service Timothy Lionel Jenkins, and American Visions magazine (headquarters).