Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of the RM

Embassy of the Republic of Moldova to the United States of America and United Mexican States



Service duration: 20 minute
Appointment is mandatory: One applicant = one appointment. The person who simultaneously requests to obtain a passport and an identity card will make a single appointment.

For minors up to 12 years old
  • within approximately 60 days - 37 $
  • within approximately 30 days - 65 $
For minors after 12 years
  • within approximately 60 days - 37 $
  • within approximately 30 days - 81 $
For adults
  • within approximately 60 days - 83 $
  • within approximately 30 days - 127 $
The passport is issued upon request in the following situations:
  • At the first documentation;
  • Changing, modifying, rectifying or completing personal data;
  • Expiry of the validity period;
  • Reporting loss, theft or damage;
  • Applying for a second valid passport;
  • Acquiring or reacquiring the citizenship of the Republic of Moldova;
  • Detection of non-conformities, forgeries in documents, identity theft and false identity.
  1. Identity card with the attachment to ID valid for at least 4 months, (if the identity card is expired, lost, stolen, damaged, canceled or invalid due to the change of personal data or home address, the necessary documents for the identity card will follow. If the ID is valid for at least 4 months but this document is in the Republic of Moldova, the applicant will submit a corresponding additional declaration at the Embassy).
  2. All valid, expired, and/or damaged passports (in the case of declaring the loss or theft of the passport, the applicant will submit a corresponding additional declaration at the Embassy).
  3. Valid identity cards and/or valid passports of the parents (if a passport is requested for a child up to 18 years old).
  4. Birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificate (issued in the name of the applicant and the minor applicant's parent), death certificate of the spouse, certificate of change of name and/or first name, notice regarding the cancellation, modification and/or completion of the civil status document. In the case of the minor's passport documentation, the parents' marriage certificate will be presented. If the parents are divorced, it is necessary to present the divorce certificate issued in the name of the parent who presents himself with the child at the Embassy, the final and irrevocable court decision regarding the divorce plus the legalized statement of the other parent, from which his consent for passport documentation is concluded (with apostille on the declaration, translated into Romanian and apostille on the translation. In the USA, the apostille is applied at the Secretary of State in the area of activity of the notary who authenticated the signature on the declaration). It is not necessary to present the statement of the other parent in the case of the presence of both parents at the Embassy, the lack of data in the child's birth certificate about the other parent or in the case of possession of a valid marriage certificate.
  5. It is not necessary to present documents of civil status if they were previously presented when documenting with a passport;
  6. Proof of payment of consular fees (consular fees will be paid by Money Order, Zelle, OR by transfer to the Embassy's bank account, details under the section Consular Fees).
  • If the identity card is invalid or the applicant is 15 years and 8 months old and has not obtained the identity card, the application for the issuance of the passport is accepted only in the case of the simultaneous submission of the application for the issuance of the identity card, provided that the deadline for ordering the issuance of the identity card not to exceed the term of the passport issuance service order. An identity card is not required for persons who have applied the stamp of the Public Services Agency regarding "authorized emigration" on page 4/5/6 of the Moldovan passport if previously, no identity card was issued on the name of the person and the citizen declares that he does not reside in the Republic of Moldova by presenting proof of residence in the USA (US driver's license, Green card, rental contract, employment contract), it is considered emigrant and is entitled to obtain the passport with that mention;
  • The passport is issued to the person under the age of 7 for a period of 4 years, with the age from 7 to 16 years - for a period of 7 years, and to the person over the age of 16 - for a period of 10 years;
  • For the citizen whose fingerprints cannot be temporarily taken, the passport is issued for a period of 12 months;
  • The parents' passport does not include the children's data;
  • The citizen of the Republic of Moldova can hold two valid passports at the same time, provided that the personal data in both documents are identical;
  • For the passport, the person's photo is taken at the Embassy. No other photos are requested;
  • The set of documents submitted to the Embassy will be sent to the Public Services Agency which examines the application and issues the passport;
  • When submitting the application, the payment of fees can be made in 3 ways: Money Order, Zelle, or by bank transfer with printing of proof of bank transfer;
  • The Embassy sends, by post, the newly completed document to the applicant's home address if, at the time of submitting the documents, a prepaid envelope (USPS) is presented, with the tracking number and the applicant's address in the USA. If the person has not requested home delivery of the document, he will be informed by e-mail about the receipt of the document at the Embassy and the possibility of picking it up. Picking up the passport or ID can be done by the applicant or by the person authorized by the appropriate power of attorney, in which it will be expressly indicated that the person is authorized to obtain the newly completed passport or ID from the Embassy (the power of attorney must be presented with an apostille, translated into Romanian and an apostille on the translation. In the USA, the apostille is applied to the Secretary of State in the region of activity of the notary who authenticated the power of attorney);
  • The Embassy is not responsible for documents lost by third parties.